Sunday, March 30, 2008

Revenge of the Nerds

I admire people who pursue their passions, and I enjoy reading about people who are "into" whatever fascinates them. "Diversity" should be not only a societal goal, but a personal one. The most interesting and well-adjusted people are those who don't subconsciously sacrifice their personal interests on the altar of being "normal". I'm wildly proud of my wife for picking up a guitar in her forties, and now being able to strum out songs I recognize. I admire the space nerds who show up at the blogger meet-ups. As the bumper sticker says, why be normal?

But the thought of the Lee's Summit High School Wargames Club earning letters (as was casually mentioned at Beneath the Ginko) pushes the concept of societal acceptance a bit too far. Next thing you know, they're going to want to date cheerleaders . . .

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Fate said...

Ahhh, I'm reminded of my high school days when the Academic Decathlon team was actually paraded in front of the school pep rally, and cheered by the cheerleaders. They also decorated our lockers.

2 things came of that: 1. I discovered at least one cheerleader couldn't spell opera (it turned out Oprah on the lockers), and 2. I was labeled as gay for not taking advantage of the attention....

Oh to relive high school with what I know now....

3/30/2008 1:52 PM  
Blogger Kanga said...

Well, the nerds win, because for the entire weekend the Field House at LS High was packed with people. I think it's great that young people are not totally wired to Halo3 or Guitar Hero. These games (not just the war type: there's also Civilization type games, games where kids can run a zoo, rail baron type games, the sky's the limit) are one way where people can bypass the wired world and interact on a face-to-face basis. It's also become quite a big biz for several companies.

3/31/2008 8:58 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Do not ever check my hobbie list then :) You were missed at the wine party!

3/31/2008 4:54 PM  
Blogger KC Sponge said...

Oh, Robotics and Quiz Bowl were frequent presenters at our pep ralleys . . . Nerds Rule! It was the pot smokers who rallied hard for the letters - it takes a lot of skill, practice and concentration to roll a quality doob.

4/01/2008 12:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home