Wednesday, April 07, 2010

Courageous Mental Health Blogging

Todd Elkins has been blogging about his struggles with mental health, even to the point of listing his medications and their costs in a series of posts about how he manages to get his hands on the medications he needs. If he were writing about a struggle with some variety of cancer, he'd be lauded as courageous. Because the illness is mental, though, he draws haters and even his supporters, like me, tend to lurk in silence because it's not a topic we're accustomed to being honest about.

Keep up the good work, Todd, and thank you for offering a window into a world many of us are too chicken to look at.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger craig said...

Dan,
Good link.
While watching the Royals game I saw a good commercial regarding getting rid of the stigma of mental illness.
I think it was something like "bringchange2life", but not sure. Wasn't paying too close attention, but it was a good commercial.

4/07/2010 9:17 PM  
Blogger Todd said...

Craig, could it be www.bringchange2mind.org? It looks interesting, I'll check it out.

Dan, thanks for the link. To be honest, I share your discomfort, but have decided this is the right path for me.

4/08/2010 10:21 AM  
Blogger craig said...

Todd, that is it.
It was an awesome commercial.
Thanks for finding it.
And I read your blog, I think it is great that you are able to use something as an alternative therapy, and reach other people and possibly bring them the courage to do the same.
Keep it up.

4/11/2010 10:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home